Monday, April 16, 2007

The vote is in...and it's UNANIMOUS!

The new pastor and his family.

I am a proud wife, to say the least! As many of you know, Erik will be graduating from North Park Seminary this May. It has been a long four years of balancing work, school and family. In January we started "the call process", which basically is a search for the perfect position for Erik. We interviewed with the superintendents in January and the phone calls started coming. It was hard to focus on anything else at that point. What place did God have in store for us? Would we be moving across the country? Would Erik be working at a church or a camp? So many unknowns, but God had a plan and soon enough it all became clear.

Erik was called by the search committee at Winnetka Covenant Church to see if he was interested in interviewing for their Youth Pastor position. He met with them twice and after the second interview received a phone call asking if he would accept their invitation to candidate. This basically meant that they were only interested in Erik and by accepting, Erik was only interested in them. No more interviews, just preparation for the "candidating weekend."
This past week was a busy one. Erik lead worship at the Wednesday night gathering and met with the Junior High students to share a little about himself. Saturday night was a church potluck followed by a question and answer time. Erik gave a 10 minute talk about his story, his experience and his vision for Winnetka Covenant and then the floor was open for questions. He did very well. Good questions, no surprises..."What is your youth ministry philosophy?" "How do you think things are different for students from when you were in High School?" I sat in the front row, so proud of my husband - so composed, so confident and so articulate. Then I was asked to share about myself. For those of you who know me, public speaking scares me to death, but I did it. I figure, I know who I am so I can easily share that! I was glad the congregation was able to get to know me a little better as well.
Now to Sunday: Erik gave the sermon and helped plan the service with the other pastors. I wish I took a video or something - he was amazing. (He probably shouldn't have done so well the first time...now they will always expect that from him!) I know that I shouldn't be surprised; he's been working hard in seminary for four years! I sat in the congregation in awe of my best friend and my husband, who's now becoming a pastor. God gave Erik a peace of mind and a clear message to share with the church. He looked so comfortable and natural behind the pulpit. After the service we headed into the gym for lunch. I went to get Caleb and when I came back to hug Erik there was a long line of people waiting to greet him and thank him for a job well done. We have felt so comfortable at Winnetka Covenant since we started attending back in August. People already know our family, but it was a chance for them to see Erik as a pastor. After the lunch we headed home and the members joined in the sanctuary to vote on calling Erik to serve as a pastor. Later that afternoon, we got a call from the chair of the church along with the whole search committee. With a loud cheer, they informed us that it was a unanimous vote! What a great way to begin a new career; knowing the the entire church is supporting us and excited for many more years together.
We are so thankful for God's timing and plan for our lives. We are excited to be staying close to family and friends and the wonderful community at Winnetka Covenant. Erik will begin work on June 1, my sister gets married on June 8, baby number 2 is due on June 25 and we need to be out of our seminary apartment by June 30. We continue to pray for God's direction and timing as all of those things together can seem overwhelming. Thank you for your prayers for us, we have truly felt them!

19 comments:

Lisa said...

Congrats Erik and Courtney! I am super excited for you and Winnetka. And Erik, the sermon was great. Glad I was able to be there...

THE GTEAM said...

So proud and encouraged. The Gaps are huge fans of the Stroms. And I (Tony) love seeing God's plan unfold in your life Erik. I am so stoked God crossed our paths in Colorado (Journey) of all places ten years ago. We are praying for you and love connecting to your life through the blogs.

Congrats.

And Courtney, yep-Cloth diapers. That reminds me I need to blog about that. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

We're so proud of you both--and, of course, of Caleb, too! Our love and prayers are with you.
Aunt Louise

simplicity said...

Way to go Stroms!

I love the cute family pic, belly and all!

Congrats on all the new changes!

jeff g said...

Wow!! where do i begin? So excited and happy for you guys! i think that any church would be lucky to have you on staff...and how great is it that you get to be close to your families and frineds?? we'll have to share ideas and resources as we start our new chapters. i know that this semester has been super busy for you all--i hope you get to rest and relax at the end of may. Congrats!!

WML said...

courtney - your love and pride for erik came shing through as you told your story. We are so excited for all of you and so glad that GOd has decided to keep you in Chicagoland. WML

condapfour said...

Congrats guys...too bad you did not end up on the east coast! That would have been fun. So, Caleb's hair...it kind of looks like the guys hair in Dumb and Dumber.

Seeker said...

God bless you in your new adventure!

ses said...

God is good. Thanks for sharing Courtney. I'm not surprised in the least that things went so well on Sunday. You both have been so patient and obedient during this process - you're great people. I'll be thinking and praying for you three (and 2/3) as you prepare for the month of JUNE. ~snow

Jed and Anne said...

Congratulations to you! I am so happy for you!

The Process said...

We love you guys and cannot wait to share in community with you! (Although I suppose that's not too much of a change : )

As a former WCC youth group member myself, I know that you will do amazing work . . . the youth will be very lucky to have you there!

C- So wonderful to read your version of the process and to hear how proud you are of Erik!

XOXO.
B.

caroline and mike said...

what a beautiful story....GOd is amazing and hopw exciting to watch him plan your journey!!! congratulations...i look forward to many more stories of how the Lord is blessing your family as you obey and grow i Him. thanks so much for sharing!!!!

Anonymous said...

congratulations! it was really cool to read about your unanimous call to serve at winnetka. erik, congratz on finishing up seminary, too. we miss being in close proximity to you both and know that God will bless those that you minister to...the church and surrounding community.

Greta Bailey said...

Yeah Erik and Courtney!!! Welcome to Winnetka Cov.! I have been attending/member of WCC my entire life and I have to say that right now is the most exciting time to be involved at our church. I have heard this from others too so I know it is not just my opinion. I am so excited for Erik to be a part of the pastoral staff as well as Courtney, Caleb and the baby to be a part of the WCC family. As a JR Counselor I am pumped and excited for Erik to be on board to lead the youth group. There are great times ahead of us at WCC.

Ummmmm, June is sounding a bit crazy for the Strom's so let me know if there is anything I can do to help you guys out.

Lindahl News 2 said...

This is such good news! Congratulations!

Xtina said...

yay!

nicole said...

That is such an amazing story. I'm so happy for the love you two share for each other and for your family. It's awesome that your hard work is paying off! And, it's great that you can still call chicago home.

Anonymous said...

im just signing in.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! This is wonderful news! I am so happy for your family. Best wishes!

Lisa G.